What Do You Believe?

Katrina - Vancouver, Washington

Growing up in the United States can be easy compared to some other places where poverty and hunger exist. But sometimes that all depends on the kind of choices you make throughout your life. I’ve tried to make the best of everything I have been lucky enough to be given the chance to do. Some people my age have never experienced camping in a tent near the ocean or going out on a boat every day in the summer time. To me those memories are very important and things that I hope other people would have the chance to experience.

I believe that people shouldn’t take advantage of things they need because when you take things for granted you don’t realize how much you might really need them. Having shelter, warm clothing, food, and water are all taken advantage of because some people don’t realize how important they are to sustain life. I’ve learned how important those things are and how much money it takes sometimes to be able to get what you need. Sometimes it will be food and other times it will be washing machine detergent or soap to do the dishes. Those who don’t have everything that they need to survive realize how much those things really mean. For instance having enough money to buy food or warm clothing.

Being able to do what you want is another thing that would be greatly appreciated by some people. That doesn’t mean getting away with murder because the teacher didn’t give you another day to finish a test. It’s just that some people feel that they need to get their say in about something that may help them either emotionally, physically, or mentally . Some children don’t understand why we don’t get the chance to voice our opinions to the courts or about certain things. This bugs me. Yes, I understand some children don’t really know what they want, but there are people that know exactly what they want for a variety of reasons. Those people know what may be the best for themselves but they don’t take into consideration how it may affect other people. But I think that would go for anyone. Even the most intellegent adult may not know why they want what they want.

I have lots of beliefs and those are just three of them but those are the most important to me also.