Dreams: You can’t do it alone

Charina - Ridgefield, Washington

Dreams: You can’t do it alone

In the deepest corner of our souls each of us has a dream. Whether it is to own a house, be in the movies, or simply tend rabbits, we each have a dream. I believe when you truly want something you should go for it; don’t let anything hold you back. Yes, dreams are reachable and you can live your dream. But the way I see it, the dream you have really isn’t the important thing.

I believe the important and most meaningful thing is to have that friend or person who stands beside you through everything, and who helps encourage you to reach your dream. The person who at the end of the day says, “We got a future. Because you got me and I got you.” (Steinbeck-Of Mice and Men)

I don’t believe anyone can do anything completely on his or her own. There is always someone who pushes them along and reminds them their dreams are right in front of them. The only thing that can hold you back from achieving your dreams is yourself. Honestly, I used to not know what I thought about dreams. Maybe they were just dreams and only some people achieved them or maybe deep inside all of us we have a dream and can succeed.

In my English class, we just finished reading “Of Mice and Men”. After reading a story about a friendship so strong it made me realize how you can’t do it on your own. If George had never had Lennie he would have been the same as the other men who just worked and had no dream. And who knows what would have happened to Lennie! Because these two friends had each other; they clung to their dream and always reminded each other of it and kept pushing each other towards it. This book made me believe in dreams.

In our live, I think we are very much the same. Someone may be a billionaire, but if their living in that thirty-five-room mansion alone do you think they’re truly happy and their living the dream? No, they are probably very lonely. It’s great to have a dream, but there’s not much point if there’s no one supporting you and to share it with. So not only do I believe what I do because of George and Lennie, but this truth really is self-evident.

I think dreams are wonderful and part of each of us, but without someone who loves, supports, and cares for us next to us, there is no point in a dream. After all, you would always know someone gives a hoot about you, and if you’re really lucky, they might even tend the rabbits too.