Music is Life

Emily - Mt. Sterling, Kentucky

I was really excited as I stepped off the bus into the cold, wintery air. I couldn’t believe it! I was finally going to play in a band, in my true hometown, Ashland. You see, ever since sixth grade music has become a big part of my life, it always has been, but now that I play my own instrument it’s a bigger deal.

The next day, after a long and very tiring day of rehearsal, we didn’t feel like walking anywhere for dinner, so we ordered a Papa John’s pizza. When we went down to the lobby to wait there wasn’t really anyone in there except for a few employees and a man with short gray hair, a purple sweatshirt, and dirty old jeans. I sat down in a large comfy- looking leather chair in the corner while two of my roommates ran upstairs to get the money we forgot. Then a pretty woman with big blonde hair that you could tell she’d dyed before came over to the man and started talking to him. Being a girl, I’m naturally nosy, so I pretended to watch the giant television while I was actually listening to the woman. Turns out that the man was homeless and that the hotel was going to call the cops on him if he didn’t leave within the next ten minutes, all the sudden my two other roommates were beside me and I quickly explained the situation.

We all sat down and listened to the woman’s kind and gentle voice. She gave him directions to the police station so that they could find him a place to stay. The man thanked her and proceeded to walk towards the door. At that moment I really wished that there were more taxis in Ashland and that I had a coat to give him. This poor man had to walk outside, without a coat, and with a limp! Oh, how I wished there was something I could do for him! When he passed us, he half-smiled then was out the door.

Out of all the memorable moments at all-district middle school band, those two or three minutes are the most memorable. I had never seen more kindness than what that woman did for a complete stranger.

Band has taught me so many other things about life. My band teacher told us on the very first day of sixth grade that we would learn more in that class than in any other. And he is right. In band we don’t just learn how to play an instrument and to read music. No, we learn everyday life lessons. Two of my favorite quotes from him are: “You are your own worst critic” and “The best way to get better at something is to surround yourself with people that are better than you.” I’ve found this to be true in all my classes and activities. It is these reasons I believe in the saying “music is life.”