I Believe in Wearing Pink

Makayla - Mt. Sterling, Kentucky
Themes: family, illness

Have you ever loved someone so much that you can’t even think about losing them? Have everything fine one minute and then your whole life ripped out from under you? I have, and that is why I believe in wearing pink.

My mammaw is my best friend. She has always been there when I needed her and when I didn’t want her. But over the years I have come to appreciate what she does for me.

Ever since I was little I have stayed Friday and Saturday nights with her. When I was little I made her a promise that even when I got married I would stay with her and my husband would sleep on the floor. I love spending time with her she is my favorite person to be around.

One day on my way to school my mom said “I have some news to tell you. The doctors think your Mammaw has brest cancer.” Right then and there my whole world fell out from underneath me. It was like someone had sucked the life out of me. The wind could have blown on me and I would have fallen over. I was numb all over. There was bitter taste of hatred and sorrow in my mouth. That whole week was horrible. All I could think about was what I was going to do if I lost my mammaw. I felt useless like I could do nothing for her. I wanted a cure for Brest cancer so bad. I wanted to be the one to find the cure, to heal my mammaw. I wanted to keep her with me a little wile longer.

Waiting for the doctors to confirm if it was cancer or not was by far the worst thing I have been through. It was emotional trauma I will never forget. When they finally spoke the words that she was cancer free but it was serious looking and they wanted to keep a close eye on it my burden was lifted for the most part. She was cancer free but there was a possibility that it could always turn into cancer.

Wearing pink for Brest cancer is symbolic to me and my family. We wear it because we feel for those people who are dealing with what we dealt with. Some people might think that it’s just a pink shirt, hat, or bracelet but its not, its so much more than that, for people who know what we went through. For us it is a sign of HOPE. It lets us know that people care and are doing there part to fight back and find a cure. And all I can do now is pray and hope for a cure and eventually there will be one. But until then I’m going to Wear Pink and support the fight for a cure.