I Believe in Waiting

Casey - Mt.Sterling, Kentucky

I Believe in Waiting

Have you ever realized the more impatient you are the longer you have to wait for something? You can’t always have something you want at the very moment you want it. I believe in waiting.

I realized waiting was what I was going to have to do when I got diagnosed with diabetes type 1 in 2001. It was a day before my 7th birthday and I was so excited to have a birthday party and be with my friends. Well, that didn’t happen. I was hospitalized that night and later diagnosed with diabetes. It was by far the worst birthday present ever.

For the first year or so five times a day everyday, I took insulin out of a syringe and vial; it was as painful as beestings. I had waited for something so much easier and convenient that didn’t hurt as bad and a few years ago the American Diabetes Association came out with an insulin pen. It is not painful, the insulin isn’t cold, and it’s so much easier to travel with.

I am now waiting for a cure for diabetes. I know the American Diabetes Association is working their hardest to find that cure, but I have to be patient and wait. There is no way to fix that problem.

While working to find that cure, I will wait; wait for my life to go back to normal and have no health issues; wait to have a day with no shots; wait until that good news comes and says, “You no longer have diabetes!” So until that one special day when I can say, “I used to have diabetes!” I will believe in waiting.