Dedicated to Dedication

Cole - Mt. Sterling, Kentucky

“We all have dreams. But in order to make dreams come into reality, it takes an awful lot of determination, dedication, self-discipline, and effort.” This quote from Jesse Owens tells exactly why I believe in dedication.

I started playing guitar at the age of 9. My parents bought me my first guitar off the television, not knowing they were getting ripped off, and started paying for me to take lessons. By this time they were out $200 for my new “crappy” guitar, $10 a week for my lessons and the time and trouble of getting me to and from my lessons each week. So guess what my dad told me? “Son you’d better be sure you’re dedicated to this because if you aren’t, you’ll end up paying for that new guitar.”

So I made sure I stuck with it, and trust me it was hard at first. I couldn’t see any progress when I started off. In other words I wasn’t as good as my teacher within the first few months or the first few years. For example it took me a year to figure out that the direction I strummed didn’t matter that much as long as it was at the right beat. More importantly I was young so my intention span didn’t last long making things even worse and when things got really frustrating, my teacher and I would have to take a break and go outside for a little while. Although I stuck with it and now as a 14-year-old I’m still learning something new every day, I play guitar at my church all the time, and I love tagging that old “crappy” guitar along with me on camping trips so I can pull it out at nights around the campfire.

As a soon-to-be high schooler I plan to keep my belief in dedication close to my heart. I plan to pick a career path and stick with it and I believe that I can accomplish anything I want if I put my heart into it. I am also very dedicated to the farm. I love the outdoors and love working on my dad’s and grandfather’s farms. I am so dedicated to my work that my father and grandfather trust me with anything from a $60,000 tractor to fixing a simple gap in a fence.

I believe we should all be dedicated to anything we put our time into. If not we are really wasting our time. For example, many people today put their time into a job or activity just for the salary or perks it offers, but these people aren’t happy because of their lack of dedication to their work. I believe we should all choose career paths that we can really dedicate ourselves too, because even though it doesn’t give the authority or money you want right now, it will. Just set goals for yourself in this career and anything can be accomplished. It’s just like what Jesse Owens said; it takes dedication to bring the happiness and glory we all seek for in life.