FORGIVENESS

LESLIE - MOUNT STERLING, Kentucky

My family and I had always known that my mom had a problem. I thought that she was crazy. My sister and I knew this when she would leave us at home alone for hours not knowing where she was or if she was okay. My father knew when money would disappear. I knew it when my PSP or PLAYSTATION would be gone. My mom didn’t know it when I would cry, or when I would scream and yell at her. She never knew that she had hurt us. It was always OUR fault; WE were the ones picking on her.

I believe in forgiveness. We are all human. We all make mistakes. I had always hated my mother, but now I know that it was the addiction I hated. When she went to jail the first time, we had thought she had changed. She didn’t, but we forgave her. The second time she went, we thought she had finally realized that the drugs and alcohol wasn’t worth losing her family. She didn’t, and we forgave her. The third time she went to jail, we hoped, we prayed that she had changed. She did. She finally realized that she had a problem.

She decided to go to rehab. Yes, rehab. My friends and I had always made fun of people that go there, but I never would have guessed that my mother, my MOM, would ever go to rehab. But it is the best thing that has ever happened to me. My family and I are so proud of her.

I believe in forgiveness because if we hadn’t forgiven her so many times then where would she be? Would she be without a home and her family? Would she still be doing drugs? Or worse? Since we believed in her and forgave her so many times she finally changed.

So now, when someone makes me mad, instead of hating them I forgive them. I turn the other cheek and try to forgive what they have done. I then pray for them to change. To grow up and realize that what they did was wrong.

I do not wish that my mother was never addicted to drugs. If she hadn’t been then I would go around hating every one. Everyone that did something to anger me would be my enemy. But now, if someone does something to hurt me, I forgive them and pray that they will learn to change and to forgive as well.

Even though my mom still has issues and I still think she’s crazy, even though she has lied, cheated and stole from us, we still love her. And we still forgive her for her faults, just as she forgives us for ours. When I scream and yell at her now, it will because she made me do laundry, not because she’s doing drugs. And when my PSP or PLAYSTATION will disappear, it will be because I’m grounded for back talking. And that’s all I could ever ask for.