Energizer Bunny

Olivia - Mt. Sterling, Kentucky
Themes: death, family

The pink bunny beating on the drum decked out in his sunglasses going in circles replays in my mind. It goes by the name “Energizer Bunny”, the motto: keep going keep going keep going. My “Energizer Bunny” is my family.

I believe in having an energizer bunny.

In school, every year, you take a test, and every year, you are so thankful when that test is over. But not every year, after that test, do you get the news of your Papaw passing away.

Yes, I received this tragic news, after testing, after school. My mom took me to my aunt’s house for what I thought was a normal family gathering, but turned out to be a house full of grieving relatives. There, on the front porch of the aged brick house, I was told that my Papaw had gone to the pearly gates of heaven.

At this moment, I was shocked. I didn’t know what to do. I didn’t know what was going to happen next. It’s like we were all stuck in this moment in time, and we couldn’t move the hand on the clock, no matter how bad we wanted to move it.

Inside of my aunt’s house, it seemed black and white, and the aroma of flowers lurked in the room from what people had sent out of sympathy. All of my aunts, uncles, cousins, mom, dad, and my sister were sitting quietly. In my mind, they seemed to be fading into memories that would be remembered forever, some crying, some just twiddling their thumbs.

This was the moment that I thought I wanted to give up. Two things kept me going, one, my Papaw told me to never quit, no matter how much I wanted to, it would turn out okay in the end, and two, my family kept me going, just like the real energizer bunny.

None of the TV’s or radios were on, but what I did see amazed me. They had brought all of my Papaw’s shirts that would never be worn by “Big Red” again to my aunt’s house and put them in a pile. I didn’t know why those shirts were there, but a few minutes later, I found out. We were going to make stuffed bears out of my Papaw’s clothes so that his XXXL’s weren’t wasted.

In this moment in time, I knew my Papaw would want me to be happy. So I took the directions for making the bear and realized that this bear would be a symbol of my Papaw’s strength. He never gave up, never quit, and the bear had the strongest stitches. I finally realized that the stitches that held the bear together, was a reflection of him. It also resembles the tight bond that my family has. When all I wanted to do is fall to the ground and give up, my energizer bunny picked me up and got me going again

There was a variety of shirts, plaid shirts, faded-textured shirts, solid shirts, but one shirt was the most important, the pink shirt. We all fought over it, but we came to the decision to share it. Some got the buttons, others got a piece of the worn out pocket where he kept his pens, money, and toothpicks.

This day, after long hours of testing, was the day that I found out my family kept me going, keeps me going, and will continue to keep me going for the rest of my life. My family was there for me during this time of tragedy. My family is my pink bunny beating on the drum decked out in sunglasses. My family is my “Energizer Bunny”.