Micah - Mt. Sterling, Kentucky

Did you know that 250, 000 people get baptized each year? In the winter of 2005, when I was 10, I was one of those 250,000 people.

I accepted Christ as my lord and savior when I was about 6 or 7 years old. I had always thought about baptism. I had seen it before. You had to wear these weird gowns. They were old and raggedy they had stains, they were ugly and they looked like what someone would wear at the hospital. I sure didn’t want to wear something that looked like a hospital gown on the happiest day of my life. I had always wondered if you had to wear your church clothes under the gown or if you wore nothing.

By the time I was 10 I had learned and realized more about God and His powers. He was calling me to be baptized. I felt his call tugging at my heart. It wasn’t an immediate tug it had been pulling for about a month but I finally figured out what he was calling me to. I told my mom I wanted to be baptized. She called my pastor and set up an appointment to talk about baptism.

My pastor asked me questions like, “Why do you want to be baptized?” and, “Do you love God with all your heart?” I answered the questions easily because that was the reason I was. If I didn’t love Jesus, why would I be there? We then decided I would be baptized that next Sunday.

Throughout the rest of the week I was so nervous yet, so excited. I was going to be the newest member of God’s redeemed children!

When I was younger I was the one that had always been the backdrop to my family and friends. I was the fourth and last child in my family. I was the one that had always wanted attention, and I was the one that never really got it. I have kind of learned to find my place and stay low to attitude and myself. But now, it was my turn to get attention, not just from people but also, with God.

Finally, the day came. We were in church, we sang a song, and then they called me up. I repeated the famous words before baptism. Such as “God is the father, son and the holy spirit.” “God is my Lord and Savior.” Then I went backstage in a changing room got my weird, ugly, gown on and got ready to walk out in front of about 200 people.

The walk to the warm, little pool was long and nerve-racking, you couldn’t have forced a smile out of me lifeless face. The wait to be emerged into the warm forgiving water felt like a dreadful lifetime. But, after they pulled me out of the water immediate excitement and a smile was shown on my face.

In the winter of 2005, when I was baptized, out of 250,000 people it was only me getting baptized at that moment, it was my time to shine. I was on the pedestal for once.