I Believe In Dedication

Jake - Mt Sterling, Kentucky

Ugh, ugh 10 meters left…… 5……4……3……2……1……………… Did I make it?! Yes! Yes I got it!

I believe in Dedication.

I was at a swim meet. I had been training my butt off trying to get my a-cut to go to the state meet. I had to go a 34:94 in my fifty butterfly to get to go. I got it, but not through luck or some special talent to go faster than normal. No, it came from dedication, it came from working hard and eating healthy, it came from long, hard practices and good blood sugars.

Dedication is important to me because it is used by everyone everyday. Olympic athletes, happy couples or dedication to your friends, there is something everyone is dedicated to. I am thoroughly dedicated to swimming. In sports, people have good moments and bad moments.

When you have good moments you feel great, but when you have bad moments you feel like you’re dragging an elephant with you. You want to quit and go home and try to stop embarrassing yourself. I would know. In the last year I have finally started coming out of a 2 year slowdown. I was in this slowdown because of not taking care of myself or being dedicated enough to care what happened, but eventually I realized that if I’m not going to have a good attitude about it then I’m never going to be able to go faster just from going to practices or showing up at meets. I realized that I had to care in order to get better. I realized that to go fast and get my dream of being a world class Olympic swimmer I was going to need to take care of myself and do what I could to make myself better. Maybe you will have to realize it to feel the same way, but I promise that if this is how you go about getting wherever you’re going then you will go on to have really great moments that you can share with a lot of people. You could go on to have great years & moments but you have to really work for it.

To me this is why dedication is one of the cornerstones of a good life, from getting an a-cut to having a good marriage to going on to great moments and years, I’m in that pool breathing heavy with ten meters left 5…… 4…… 3……2……1………