Living Life to the Fullest

Caroline - Mt.Sterling, Kentucky
Themes: carpe diem

I believe in living life to the fullest.

September 2, 2008 a good friend passed away. She passed away from catching staph infection during a soccer injury. She was full of love and hope. She had such an amazing future ahead of her. At her funeral they read her 12th grade letter to her self. In her letter it said that “Life is short, live it to the fullest.” During this moment I felt so shocked. It was like she knew what was ahead of her. I didn’t know what to think. It was like she was giving advice, almost like her last words. This sentence is most memorable to me, and always will be.

These words have so much meaning to everyone, but especially to me. It means so much more coming from a 14 Year Old girl that only lived only a few years of her life. Kids should live so much longer than that. When I look back on this one moment, I can picture seeing McKenna’s parents, sisters, and grandmother sitting in the front row and the rest of the pews in the church filled with balling eyes and so many people remembering their special memories they had with McKenna. When I look back, I can remember sitting on the stage with our girls select team, boys GRC team, and girls GRC soccer team cherishing all the respect and love from the people sitting in the pews. When I look back, I remember watching McKenna play so many soccer games. Even though she was little, she always somehow ended up with the ball. It seemed no matter how bad the team was playing or how mad we were she was always the “peace maker.” She always wanted everyone to be happy.

McKenna was one of my best friends. She had an I- don’t- care- what- people- think; I’m- going- to- have- fun attitude. She lived her life to the fullest, just as she stated in her letter. She was very understanding and she always seemed to know and comprehend what you were talking about. Everything about McKenna leads back to me sitting on the stage at the church with all of her friends listening to her words which her aunt was reading from her 12th grade letter thinking of the memories I had with her.

I believe in living life to the fullest because of McKenna. She inspired me a lot. It really makes you think after a loss like that. You never know what life is going to give you, so don’t hold back and follow your heart. (This is why I believe in “Living life to the fullest.”)