Love Is the Greatest Thing of All

Georgeann - Benton, Arkansas
Themes: love

I believe the greatest thing is choosing to love. I started believing in this in fifth grade.

Most kids can’t say their parents choose them, but I can. Starting in second grade, I was in foster care and couldn’t live with my birth parents anymore. Then their parental rights were terminated and I was put up for adoption. Angry, confused, and upset, I didn’t understand anything anymore. To me I was just another kid in the Department of Human Services system. No one cared about me, so I thought.

In the summer before fifth grade, I moved to the Burbank’s house, and everything

I thought changed. I felt love, compassion, and comfort. I felt like someone actually

cared about what happened to me even after I left, not just while I was in their home.

That was where I wanted to be, there with the Burbank’s. But, they said they just wanted to foster children; they weren’t going to adopt. That didn’t stop me from praying.

Every night I prayed that they would adopt me later. I visited an adoptive family that was

interested in me. I came back and told the Burbank’s it wasn’t going to work out with the

other family. Little did I know what they took from what I said. According to them, the

Department of Human Services adoption division was trying to put me in the other home and make me live with them, but the Burbank’s weren’t going to allow it. They weren’t going to let them take me away without a fight.

About a week after I visited the other family, the Burbank’s took me to dinner

with them instead of Wednesday night church service. That confused me; I thought I was

in trouble. When we got to Ruby Tuesday, I saw my Aunt Robin (my foster mom Sandy

Burbank’s sister). While eating, If found out that God had answered my prayers. The

Burbank’s, the people I now call mom and dad, told me they love me and wanted to

adopt me. Finally, they were catching on to what I wanted all along.

From this, I learned that love is a great thing. God knew what he was doing when he made love. When we choose to love, loves is even greater. The Burbank’s choose to love me, just like they have chosen to love the other fifty kids who have come through

their door as foster children.

There is an old saying that blood is thicker than water, but I disagree. A mother

can love her blood child and just as easily turn away from him. A mother chooses to love

her child. That is what keeps a family together, not blood but the choice to love one

another. Like jelly in a peanut butter and jelly sandwich you can choose to have the jelly

or not, but with out it, its not a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Just, like you can

choose to love or not, but without love it’s not a family.

Love is the greatest thing people can give to one another. It can be given to

anyone no matter who they are or where they came from, they need love.

Love is great. Love can do anything. Love can make people feel strong when they need support. Love can keep a family together. The love is the greatest gift God gave us.

So, I can say that my parents choose to love me and I choose to love my parents.

I believe the greatest thing is love, but to choose to love someone is the best kind of love.

1 Corinthians 13:13

And now these three remain: Faith, hope and love. But the greatest is love.