Not All Heros Wear Capes

Sara - Mabelvale, Arkansas

Not All Heroes Wear Capes

I believe God is almighty, and when he works through me, I am invincible.

I realized that I had the power to change people’s lives for the better when my church took a large group of pre-teens to a camp near Hot Springs, Arkansas for a weekend retreat. Leaving the church with plans to corral kids, pass out cookies, and help keep up with things, I didn’t realize that the retreat would change me.

The kids’ director organized lots of crazy events and games, complete with a walk through the woods in the dark to find monsters, and cracking eggs on each others’ heads to find out which eggs were boiled and which were raw. One of the best games was eating chocolate candy out of lemonade-filled toilets. The activities such as devotions, quiet times, and worship services were centered on getting rid of the monsters in our hearts like jealousy, anger and poor self-esteem. I realized that there were even a couple of monsters lurking in my heart.

I’ve always thought of myself as just a kid, not able to make a difference in the big picture. The retreat helped me realize that some of the girls in the group were looking to me as a role model, and they were paying attention to my actions to see if they matched what was being taught. That’s a big load for a teenager to carry. The responsibility scares me sometimes, but it has also made me stronger.

Since the retreat, I have been more careful to match my words and my actions. I’ve also made a point of paying attention to the girls who seemed to have needed me the most. I know God has worked through me to make others feel loved and special. I’m not part of the “in crowd,” an all star athlete, or even a genius. I don’t have any special talents, but I am someone’s hero. God has used me to change a little part of the world for the better, and if I will let Him, He will continue to use me to spread His love and His message.