Hope after a Storm

Ashley - Bryant, Arkansas
Themes: hope, nature

It sounds stupid, but I believe in the rain.

Depression is a medical illness that affects how you think and act and can cause physical and emotional problems. If a person has depression, he or she wouldn’t want to do nearly anything. That person would feel as if life isn’t worth living anymore. It’s like falling into a deep black hole. Once you’re in that black hole, it’s impossible to climb out. That “person” was my brother.

In high school, my brother was that kind of guy who everyone liked. He was on the varsity football team, got good grades, and had a great future ahead of him. On the other hand, I was a typical elementary girl who claimed to know everything, but I knew that he was happy with his life. During his senior year, he planned to attend the University of Arkansas. It was all thought out. He was going to major in accounting and become very successful. After graduating from high school, he said goodbye, and we cherished him with hugs. He was off to college.

In his sophomore year of college, things changed. He wasn’t attending school. His world crashed. No phone calls. No contact. No. Reasons. Why. Devastated, my parents and I were left wondering what had happened to him. Suddenly, we found out that he had a major depression. He never wanted to see anyone. He didn’t want to go out. He just wanted to be left alone. This wasn’t the big brother I knew at all. Because of that, I hated depression. I hated what it had done to my brother.

No one knew what the cause was. “It could have been stress,” the doctor said. It didn’t matter. All my brother needed was a whole bunch of love and help. Throughout years battling depression and seeing a counselor, he started to face reality with a strong heart. As my mom says, he came back to life. My big brother was back. He was stronger than before. Actually, he was better than before.

The years of depression he went through taught me a lot of things. “Everyone needs love.” “You never know what situation a person is going through.” “Be careful with people.” Most importantly, I learned all of these lessons because of one simple thing: The rain. Not many people realize how beneficial the rain is. Or what it can bring. Say that a little girl loves to play in the park on a sunny day, and for a week it rains. The girl becomes unhappy. From those rainy days, she learns she has to cherish each day the sun comes out. It’s pretty simple. I believe in learning from life and finding hope whenever it rains.