You Were Taught That

Sylvia - Benton, Arkansas

I believe teaching someone something is the greatest gift one can give. I have been taught by various teachers many life lessons. The importance of love. Everything can’t always go your way. You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. Independence is important. To be a leader, not a follower. Sometimes you have to make decisions that are unpleasant and some may dislike you for it. One of those lessons I find really important is that hard work and encouragement will take you far. I remember when I learned that.

I’d been in gymnastics for a while and I’d learned the basics like round-offs, cartwheels, and the splits. I was working on conquering a big move, one that I had been working at for a while, and I needed to get it right. I was short. Very short. I went to my gymnastics classes and would work using various tools. I would sit down on this thing that looked like a pac-man, but it was really a chair that you sat at a ninety degree angle in, put your arms up, and flipped over to your hands and then your feet. I also would work on the trampoline. What I remember though was doing it on the floor. It was a big soft blue carpet that had gray Velcro running straight across it. I would struggle sometimes making it to my hands and then collapsing on my head. I kept going, though, because I knew it was the only way I would ever get it right. When I got done at the gym, I would head straight back to my trampoline at home and practice some more. After a while, I began to get upset and think that I would never get it. My coach saw this and kept on telling me that I could do it and that it just took time. After several weeks, when I finally got it down perfectly, I realized that it was because of her that I got it down, and she kept on helping me until the day I quit gymnastics.

I can still remember the lesson I learned then. I use that lesson when I am having trouble with something. If I see someone else struggling, I use it to help. I have respect for any teacher, even those not usually identified as a teacher. A good teacher can change your life in the way that benefits you, and you many not even know it. So I guess what I’m saying is to give a little shout out to the teachers, coaches, or anyone else who taught you something. If they changed your life in someway, the least you can do is appreciate it and use it.