Kindness for Kids

Emily - Bryant, Arkansas

Little kids are attention needy and can be very irritating at times. As older family members of a young child, we understand this. I believe that young kids deserve patience, love, and kindness, so they can grow up to be mature, responsible adults.

One day, Carter, my 4-year-old brother ran into my room and grabbed my camera, wearing a mischievous grin. The next thing I knew, my camera was smacking the wall. Extremely upset, I shouted at him to leave my room. Afterwards, he apologized, and I felt terrible for losing my temper with him.

Siblings seem to overestimate their little brothers and sisters. Because we act more mature, we expect the same actions from them. The time for them to be mature will come later; right now they are enjoying their childhood. If we show young kids generosity, they will most likely show it to us back. Just like adults, if somebody is generous to us, we want to show kindness in return.

Many adults feel that young kids should know better than to yell and make loud noises. The truth is there are no preschoolers that would sit perfectly still and quiet when they could be playing and having fun. Once people understand this, they will have more patience with kids. They should also reflect back to when they were young. Did they always sit perfectly still and quiet? If they didn’t then how can they expect others to?

If young kids are bullied and hear a lot of name calling, they will copycat and name call people they like just because they don’t know better. This is why we need to show them nice and honest things. A kid won’t respect you unless you show them what respect is and how respectful people act.

I believe that how young kids turn out when they grow older is greatly affected by the adults and teenagers. Around them if we show love and kindness, that’s the kind of young adults we will see in 15 years. Next time one of my possessions is broken by my little brother I will exercise patience with him.