The Cliffs

Parker - Bryant, Arkansas
Themes: family, love

Love! The first time I was 100% positive that someone loved me, I felt an incredible sense of power. The memory, still imprinted in my brain just like it was yesterday. This feeling is one I could never replace.

Summers at the lake with my family are unforgettable! We each have talents to share, one in particular belongs to my cousin, Noel. He is an extreme ex-gymnast and you might just get to experience these skills at the lake with the Parkers and the Pamplins (my lake families).

Where do these so-called extreme ex-gymnastic skills come into play? Lets just say “The Cliffs.” Noel is known all around the lake for his back flips, swan dives, and more, off of theses cliffs. So trying to live up to that kind of “fame” is hard.

So finally after ten summers of watching Noel jump off of these four story cliffs, it was my turn. I was going to step up from being the baby of the family to the youngest to jump off the cliffs. It was going to be my mark on the lake, my story to forever be told, so it was the least to say I was ready to jump. After my long discussion with my parents about jumping off the cliffs, my mother (the over analyzer) decided that she was going to jump too. So we began our long, treacherous hike to the top. After we made it, I was more than ready to jump, or so I thought.

My adrenalin running, mind racing, pulse rushing, and fears stirring all around in my head. This was a first, especially when you find yourself on top of these cliffs, shaking with fear. I just now remember my long forgotten fear of heights, and now 20 people have gathered at the bottom to witness this horrific event. I talked my mom into jumping first so she would be down there when I jumped. She jumped and now it was time for me to go. After long debates with myself over the pros and cons of jumping my mom had hiked back up just to talk it over with me.

So I bet you are just on the edge of your seat with suspense. “Did she jump?!?” “Fall?!?” Well this girl went down just the same way she came up. I am talking about me! The one that was “more than ready to jump.” That was a big surprise.

I know, what kind of ending to a story is that! But my mom, was very supportive and just helped get rid of the embarrassment with fun. That was the first time I really understood the depth of that love my mom has for me. This memory has been etched into my brain for three years and it will never leave me. Like that feeling you get when you’re on top of the world, or maybe just the cliffs at Lake Ouachita, it will never be forgotten.