Miracles Happen

Octavia - Pearland, Texas

I believe in family, I believe in friends, I believe in love and miracles and lots of things. I believe that even in the most unsuspecting and trying times the most unsuspecting things can happen.

Being at what some would call “the tender age “of sixteen, I have yet to witness any real miracles. I haven’t seen much of the world just, Sea World and Oklahoma City, but I’ve heard stories that have changed my entire outlook on life,

When I was fifteen I spent a summer in the country at my grandmother’s house. At night, before bed, she would sit me and my five other cousins down and recall stories about her “young days” as she called them; I always laughed when she said.

She told us stories about when she worked in a hospital, healing people. I remembered she would sit at the kitchen table and reminisce about patients and how they became people to her, and she grew to love them and build relationships with them.

We were entranced by the stories she would tell. She told of the lives she could see in them just when they touched her, or spoke.

Every night her words left me lying in bed thinking, pondering about my future and my family and my life. I was always left wondering where I would end up, where my life would lead, or if I would even have a choice, and especially if any miracles would happen.

I used to have big dreams –I still do, but my dreams have changed. Some have remained the same; I still wish to be taller –as I did two years ago. But now I also hope for a good future for myself, for the rest of my family, for my siblings, and especially my two year old little brother.

I believe that one person can grant someone something they never knew they needed –or something they knew they needed but had no one to ask for it.

I believe in the impossible, the unimaginable, the intangible, and the invisible.

I don’t know if I’ll be able to give people the miracles by grandmother gave people twenty five years ago. I don’t know what my accomplishments will be when I grow up, but I’m thankful for everyday that I wake up. And every day I still wake up hoping and wishing that something amazing will happen.