Everyone Has A Right To Live

sophie - concord, Massachusetts
Themes: disability

I believe that the handicapped should not miss out on having fun in their lives, they should live life to the fullest.

There are so many people in the world that suffer from disabilities. Whether they cannot see or hear, cannot function in society or cannot learn in school each one is somehow struggling. These people should not have to miss out on experiencing life the way they want to just because of these disabilities. While a large amount of these people cannot go to normal school or do all the activities they want to there is no reason for them to miss out on the opportunities that can be available to them.

I experienced working with handicapped children when I volunteered at a handicapped horseback riding facility. There was a boy in a wheelchair that could not talk or properly move his muscles but when he was on a horse he always had a huge grin on his face. I am sure his wheelchair was forgotten and he felt like he could do anything on the back of a horse. He was able to steer and be in control of something, probably for one of the only times in his life. For that half hour that he was on a horse he felt just like a normal kid learning to horseback ride. Another one of the riders was blind. He went to a special school and did not have lots of contact with friends. When he came for his lesson he talked and asked questions and wanted to know about everything that was going on. He loved to talk about his life and find out everything he could about all the volunteers. He seemed just as happy to be talking to everyone and socializing, as he was to be riding a horse.

For these children it is so much harder to do everything that most people take for granted everyday. By letting them experience things like horseback riding, swimming and just long conversations with someone else they will not be missing these wonderful experiences. Even though they are disabled they should not have to be held back from normal activities, they deserve to get just as much out of life as they can. Something as simple as riding a horse for a few minutes a week can do so much for a disabled child’s confidence and happiness. By giving children these opportunities they will not have to suffer from being held back from a full and eventful life. No one should miss out on a wonderful life because of disabilities.