The Little White Dog

Tori - Mead, Washington

Is there a true difference between dogs? In my family we have a 80lb. dog named Rootbeer, and a 25lb. white dog named Blitzen. One day during the cold fall, I helped my dad put up Christmas lights on the roof. I snapped my head to the side when I heard foot steps, I thought I there was going to be a neighbor standing in my gaze, but I caught myself staring right at Blitzen. That only happened to be the first time Blitzen had got out of the backyard, and it was only the beginning.

My dad scanned the entire fence and found a little hole he had dug up. So my dad just filled it in and went back to work. Over the next few weeks Blitzen kept disappearing, and no one knew how. My dad would check the gates and the ground to see if he dug his way out, but nothing was there. Christmas came and I took the dogs out, also watch them, when before my eyes, Blitzen started to walk toward the trailer that we have in our backyard. He jumped on the trailer, I screamed, “Blitzen come here!” I don’t know why, but he ignored me and jump over the fence. My dad decided to dismantle the trailer and move it out into the middle of the yard, after a long weekend of moving random junk in the yard, Blitzen couldn’t get out anymore, but it didn’t last long.

After my brother had taken Blitzen out one day, My brother came back in to announce that Blitzen had gotten out again. I couldn’t believe what I was hearing, there was no way he could have jumped from the junk in the middle of the yard. After a few days of thinking how Blitzen got out, I took them out and watched them. Blitzen was out in the yard and right as I told him to come back he hurtled himself up on the fence and stepped over on the other side of the fence. He could get out by jumping from the ground. That weekend my mom had the best idea since all of this had started, we tie him up to a stake and a leash. My dad made a quick stop at The Home Depot and bought a hook and a 20ft. Leash. When he got back, he tied Blitzen up to the hook. Blitzen figured out how to get over with the leash on, but he got stuck, almost dangling, on the other side. The other night he tried to jump over again, but with the snow decrease, he couldn’t make it over and got so frustrated that he started barking at the fence. Thus I give you my belief, little dogs under 30lbs cannot be trusted by a fence during the Washington winter.