Early Morinng Walks

Kerry - Broomfield, Colorado
Age Group: 65+

THIS I BELIEVE

I believe in early morning walks–in their promise of a fresh start, a new beginning. Rising with the sun gives me the gift of a clean slate, a new beginning every day.

Each morning, shortly after breakfast, I walk my two dogs. One is a twelve-year old Black Lab, who wants to go slowly and sniff everything. This is in compensation for her failing eyesight. My other dog is a seven-year old Miniature Schnauzer. His mission is to run ahead and course back and forth on the leash, terrorizing neighborhood rabbits and fending off other dogs. He is very feisty and in a hurry. The contrast between the dog’s walking styles leaves me with arms stretched out, as the leashes pull in two directions.

Still, it is invigorating to breathe the clear air that hasn’t been “used up” by the activities of the day ahead. Birds are out there sharing the amazing blue of the sky. Their trills and chirps create an optimistic sunrise song. I do my best thinking on early morning walks.

In winter months I start out in darkness which gives way to glorious sunrises as I walk. There are pink and orange rays poking through clouds on the eastern horizon. It’s a painter’s heaven, but, since I have no artistic skills, I show off my “appreciation abilities” instead. The dogs pull impatiently at their leashes as I stop and soak up the sunrise. Winter walks urge me to step along quickly before I freeze, but icy sidewalks caution me to go slowly and carefully.

Spring walks smell of new growth and optimism. Breathing Spring air is definitely good for my body. I am taking in a green tonic with every breath.

Summer walks tempt me to meander, idling along the sidewalks and dreaming a bit. The sun is already well up into the sky, and it’s important to walk early before it gets too hot. Otherwise a good, quick walk can turn into a plodding trudge.

Fall walks are definitely my favorites. The snap and tang of autumn air encourage a brisk pace. I love to crunch the fallen leaves and watch the V’s of Canada Geese honking overhead. Autumn is my season.

I believe all walks are good, but early morning walks are several degrees up on the walking scale. The promise of a new beginning is worth the effort, even if you’re not a Morning Person. The world seems made just for you on an early morning walk.

* * *

This poem by e e cummings reflects how early morning walks make me feel.

i thank You God for most this amazing

day: for the leaping greenly spirits of trees

and a blue true dream of sky; and for everything

which is natural which is infinite which is yes

March 16, 2009