Home Is Where the Heart Is

Hadley - Chester, Vermont
Themes: change, family, place

My whole life I’ve moved around. I never once stayed in a place long enough to make a home, so I’ve never actually felt like I had a home. Just as I would start to like the house and feel comfortable in the house, I would be putting all my belongings back into the boxes. It has taken me seven years to figure out that a house doesn’t make a home.

The home is where the heart is, this I believe.

Moving to me is bittersweet.

The excitement is seeing which new places my mom picked for us to live, but the sadness that we just couldn’t stay for longer then a school year. It beings to take a toll on a person thought because I never grew up knowing what it was like to have a stable home life.

For a growing kid I was happy, but I always felt like I had this aching, empty spot in my heart. Moving to the Bahamas and having a home and a healthy, happy family helped me to fill that void.

Every time I think about home, I think of my mom and my sister waiting for me, at our house in the Bahamas. We’ve lived in the same country and in the same house for seven years. At first I was worried about the whole situation. We were leaving the Untied States, something that never even crossed my mind when it came to moving. She used to say to me “don’t worry about it so much. Think of this as a new adventure.”

Truth be told, I was scared out of my mind; but in the end everything turned out for the better.

Over the years and after growing up in the same place, I felt comfortable in my house. I didn’t feel like I was a guest in a hotel or living in someone else’s house. After 10th grade I decided to move back to the United States. My mom and my sister stayed in the Bahamas so I felt like I was breaking out home, but it was during those last few weeks there that I learnt what a home really was.

A home isn’t a place that has four walls and a roof, or a bed and a couch and a TV in the living room; that is a house. A home is where ever the people you love and care about the most are. The whole time I never thought I had a home and I did because I was with my mom and my sister. Even though I don’t live with them, there in my heart, so home is where they are. This I believe.