Do You Believe in Miracles

Taylor - Prunedale, California

Every person has his or her own version of a miracle story. Many people believe that surviving a natural disaster is a miracle. While other people believe that overcoming a disability is a miracle. My version of a miracle story is about a girl who suffers from muscular dystrophy.

It all started when Dana and Chris were expecting to have a little girl. They were so happy to start a family together; little did they know that their first baby was going to suffer from a rare disease. On May 28, 1987 a little girl named Lily was born with muscular dystrophy. Lily had very little muscle strength, and it was hard for her to walk. When Dana took Lily to the doctor for a checkup, he mentioned, “Lily will be in a wheel chair by the age twelve and she will be lucky to live past the age of eighteen because there is not a cure for muscular dystrophy.” Dana took the news pretty hard, and did everything she could to help keep her daughter alive as long as she could.

Dana started taking her family to church to seek some spiritual guidance. One Sunday at church Dana saw a flier about a pastor coming to her church next Sunday, who was known to heal people. Dana got excited that just maybe the pastor could heal her daughter, and she hoped that Lily could one day have live past eighteen.

The following Sunday when Chris, Dana, and Lily attended church the pastor called people up that needed healing. Lily did her best to walk up to the altar, and the pastor prayed for her. It was a miracle: Lily found it easier to walk and did not need to use crutches or a wheelchair anymore. Lily is now 21 and is not in a wheelchair and is going to start a family of her own.

I believe that when someone has hope to overcome their illness anything can happen. Lily never thought that she was going to die; she always hoped that she would one day be cured and she is. I have noticed that when family members say encouraging things and attend hospital appointments, the patient seems to get healthier faster.

People see miracles differently; some see them as people overcoming a disability, while other people think about those that have survived natural disasters. Most of us do not know what it is like to have a disability or have ever been in a natural disaster; so we can only imagine what they go through. Sometimes it is hard to relate to that person because you do not know what to say, especially if you do not know what they are going through. I believe that when someone lives through a natural disaster, or overcomes a disability they see the world differently. They seem to live their life more meaningful, for instance, they seem to be the ones that start volunteering for disaster cleanups, rescue missions, and helping those around them. Lily and many people like her have gone through more than I can even imagine. People that survive natural disasters or overcome a disability are miracles. I believe a miracle is something good that comes out of something tragic.