I Believe In Hope

Connor - Cincinnati, Ohio
Themes: hope

I believe in hope. In the past six months we have seen an event which will I irrevocably change us as a country, as a society, and as a species. We have seen the system that we have lived in for the past 30 years, and the people that run that system fail us. If it has failed us through greed, laziness, or some other fault of human nature has yet to be seen, but failed us it has.

We then stand at the beginning of a new era (i guess is the best word), and this era can take us in a myriad of different directions. Things could change very little. We could see the fall of the rule of Law. But it is my firm hope that we will take this as an opportunity and a challenge to fix this system that has failed us so. We could see the shanty towns and Hoovervills again, with corrupt leaders, private melitas, and utter despair. When you look at our history that could easily be the direction it goes in. At the same time, we could see good people step up, and work to fix our problems. These problems are too big for one person to fix. We could take this opportunity to replace our dependence on fossil fuels, with clean, cheep, energy, which can still turn a profit. We can take this chance to ensure that from now on, all people get their fair shake at life, and aren’t screwed from day one. We can take this opportunity to turn away from all of this greed and laziness, and begin to work with one another for the benefit of all. Call me naive, I am only 22 after all.

I believe that we can hope for a better future. I believe that now is the time that we the people can demand it. We live in a country founded on that principle. This foundation has gotten muddied however. The freedoms granted us in our society paradoxically allows people with the proper motivation to take those freedoms away, and it allows us to hand them over. But it is my Hope that the people who handed them over, are now confronted with the cost, and have decided that it is too much.

I hope that where we are today, can provide us with a better future.