Connect the Dots

Brittney - Chesterfield, Missouri

Connect the Dots

I believe in the importance of connections. Connections between friends, family, co-workers, and even acquaintances are all significant. No matter who it is, the relationships between people define who they are and how they live.

“Your turn,” my sister whispered.

I carefully chose my next move. This was a tough choice, because any wrong line would cause her to win the game. I decided to put a line between two dots on the outside of the square. “Okay, go,” I replied. I saw the look of intensity on her face, pondering where she would make her mark. Her hand kept sweeping across the paper, about to draw a line but then quickly moving away. She hesitantly drew a line connected to the one I just placed. Surprised by her choice, I asked her, “Are you sure that’s where you want to go?”

“Yes, I’m sure,” Ellie said in a quiet voice.

“Alright then,” I excitedly drew three more lines, creating two boxes. I had just won the game; I was able to place my initial in the last two boxes. I was so proud of myself, and thankful for the mistake my sister just made. The connections between the lines determined who would win the game. My sister’s one wrong choice to draw the line connected to my line cost her the game.

However, her wrong decision helped me win the game. A lot of the win came from my right decisions, but the victory also came from her decision to draw one wrong line. The connections I make with other people, determine the path I will take. My friends will influence me throughout my life. The relationships I make with them now, I will carry through to college. With that in mind, I should be careful with whom I connect myself to. I need to ask myself if my friends will be good influences on me and guide me in the right direction, or will they let me fall on my face and not catch me. In addition to my friends, I also have an obligation to better connect myself to my family. It is essential for me to establish an amazing relationship with my parents. They will be there for me until the end, and they are always going to be the ones who help me with life’s challenges.

Not only do we need to establish connections that will lead us in the right direction, but I believe we need to be aware that the associations we make will be with us for the long run. Family will especially be there forever. They are the ones who will lead us through tough decisions and will continually guide us in the direction we are meant to go. If we do not establish these connections, when we go off to college, the relationships will be lost. Grief comes with one wrong connection. Whether it’s disrespectful peers, partiers, slackers, or negative people, they will all try and get in the way of what we are trying to accomplish. There will always be people rooting for us to fail. Consequently, we need to surround ourselves with people who will cheer us on. We need to connect with those who will help us reach our goal rather than make us walk the other way.

I am somewhat afraid of getting out into the corporate world. There are going to be an abundance of people trying to beat each other out for a better job position. They will be your friend one day, and the next day they will throw you under the bus to improve themselves and maybe get that promotion. There needs to be careful consideration about who we connect ourselves to. Be sure to know a person is being real with you, and know for certain that they will build you up and not tear you down. If you end up being friends with a cheater, you very well may end up just like them. In the business world, people get fired for being dishonest in their work. We may not turn out to be a cheater like a friend, but because of the affiliation with them, there may be prejudged assumptions that we do the same. Choices people make do not only affect themselves, they affect everyone around them. Be careful with whom you associate, and remember, connections can either bring grief or happiness. Make a decision to connect with those who bring joy.