Wallabees & Me

Meghan - Cincinnati, Ohio

I am an individual, and nobody is going to take that from me. Not today, not tomorrow, not ever. I am who I am, and I learn to accept that fact. I love being Meghan Glass, because I get to be who Meghan Glass wants to be. I get to be funny, I get to be serious. I get to play lacrosse, and I get to dance just for fun. But most importantly I get to wear my wallabees.

Wallabees are the shoes I have worn almost everyday for the past two years. Nobody really seems to have them, yet that doesn’t matter to me. Me and my wallabees—we are one. I feel incomplete without them, and they feel incomplete without me. They are probably one of the ugliest shoes I have ever owned, but without them I feel like the ugliest person on the face of the earth. When I wear these shoes I feel like I can take on the world. I feel like nothing and nobody can ever bring me down. But they’re just a pair of old, torn up shoes. People usually ask me what the big deal is, but honestly I don’t even know.

What I do know is that I love the looks that people give my feet. Sure, their expressions may seem like they are making fun of me, but really I know they are just jealous. They’re too afraid to wear the shoes that almost everyone forbids to wear. But not me, because these shoes give me confidence, and many people have been searching for that confidence their whole lives. They are like my good luck charm; like a gift from God! I wore them on my first day of school, I wear them for every test, and I wear them to all my brother’s basketball games. I hear many comments about them. Some say I look like a sailor, some say I look like a duck. Some people even started calling them banana shoes. As for me, I call them the shoes that I wouldn’t be able to live without.

Some day I know I won’t wear these wallabees anymore. Not because they will someday be too small, but because I will be able to go on without them. When the day comes when I hang up my wallabees in my closet for good, I know that I have succeeded in becoming who I want to be. My wallabees give me the power to take steps into the direction I want to go. And someday, I won’t need them anymore because I’ll know who I am without them. I can’t wait for the day I stop wearing the wallabees. Not because people will stop making fun of my style, or these goofy “banana shoes”, but because I will finally have enough strength to go on without them. But as for now, me and my wallabees are one, and everything I am, or turn out to be, I owe to the pair of shoes that everybody else was too afraid to wear.