I Believe Life is Not Fair

Randa - Ann Arbor, Michigan
Themes: gratitude

Although I am only fourteen years old, I have been lucky enough to travel to parts of the world that most will never see. My experiences have taught me important lessons that I will never forget. In the eighth grade, I lived in Qatar, that’s Q-A-T-A-R. It is a tiny country along the Arabian Gulf. The experience of living in Qatar led to me to a certain belief. I believe that life is not fair.

Qatar’s population is basically made up of three groups. The native Qataris are the wealthiest of the three groups. Expatriate families like my own come next. The last group is made up of South Asian men, and only South Asian men. These men came to Qatar to work in construction or maybe to drive taxis. Above all, they came to earn money in hope of supporting their families.

I saw construction workers wearing long-sleeved blue jumpsuits. They worked outside in the unbearable heat, while I say in an air-conditioned car on the way to school every morning. Construction workers live ten to a room in unsanitary labor camps. They work all hours in excruciating heat. These men endure so much, and earn almost nothing.

I saw dark-skinned men driving Qatari children in white SUVs. They took orders from these children. They drove them to wherever they pleased whenever they pleased. Qataris live in enoormous homes enclosed my high cement walls. With thriving businesses, they can sit back and relax. They have everything they need. Some might say they have too much for their own good. This is not fair.

These conditions are not worked towards. They are not chosen. They just happen to be that way, and there is nothing that can be done about it. You do not choose where you are born and into what family. It just happens. Life is not fair.

Life may not be fair, but it does offer knowledge and enlightenment. When I saw these men working outside, I began thinking. I questioned how I ended up so lucky. The experience of living in Qatar made me take a step back, and appreciate what I have. So I believe that life is not fair, but I also believe that I can be more appreciative because of it.