I believe it is better to tell the truth

Allison - Chesterfield, New Jersey
Themes: integrity

THIS I BELIVE

IT IS ALWAYS BETTER TO TELL THE TRUTH

Have you ever done something that you thought was wrong and you thought you had to lie to your parents about it to try to get out of getting into trouble? Then do your parents turn to you and say that you’re not in trouble for what you did, but that you’re in trouble because you actually had the decency to lie about it? If you didn’t lie you probably wouldn’t have gotten in trouble in the first place, then you wouldn’t have spend so much of your time in grounding, and you could have been doing more things that you wanted to do.

Well I have had a lot of those experiences before, not so much now because I’ve grown to learn that it is just better to tell the truth cause sometimes when you tell the truth the consequences are much less severe then the consequences you receive when you don’t.

For example, I remember a time when I was much younger then I am now, maybe about six or seven, I hated to get in trouble and I loved being the center of attention. I also loved getting my sister into as much trouble as I possibly could. That was what I did best. One time when I was maybe seven years old and my sister was five, my parents were outside talking to neighbors. I was inside playing soccer in my family room. My parents told my sister and I both a million times before that, that we were not allowed to play with soccer balls in the house because something could get broken. It was only a matter of time before that happened, and that day was the day. I was kicking my soccer ball against the wall, and then I accidently hit the entertainment center, and knocked down my mom’s favorite vase that was sitting on the shelf. It hit the ground and shattered in little tiny pieces. When my parents finally came back inside I quickly put the soccer ball into my sister’s arms, and ran over to my parents telling them that my sister knocked the vase down because she was playing in the house. They then punished her by making her go to her room for the rest of the day. She started crying, and I broke down feeling guilty and telling them that my sister didn’t break the vase, that I did. Since I lied I got an extra day of punishing instead of one. If I only told the truth I wouldn’t have gotten in more trouble.

To conclude, it is just better to tell the truth. This is because sometimes getting into trouble when you tell the truth isn’t that bad, and you don’t end up feeling guilty like I did. Remember: “Lies are like the sun, they can get covered up for some time, but they will never completely go away.”