Ode to Naptime

Alyse - Angwin, California

Ode to Naptime

I am jealous of kindergarteners. Dou you ever wonder why they have so much energy all the time? It’s because they get naptime. Throughout my career as being a student, I have often thought back to those blissful younger years when I was required to take naps. So many times I took those much needed power naps as wasted time that could be spent on productive jump roping or sand castle building. I never fully appreciated naptime until I go to high school and college where sleep itself was a rare turn of events; naptime was surely out of the question.

In parts of Europe, like France and Spain for instance, naptime or siestas, are scheduled into their day already. The people work until noon, take a two hour nap or leisure time so they can relax and enjoy life, and then they return to work. Even schools shut down and reconvene a few hours later. Kids end up getting out of school at seven ‘o clock at night, but they are able to focus better on their schoolwork when they have a break to rejuvenate them.

Studies have shown that a twenty minute power nap during the day or a few times a day can help you stay more focused and feel happier. It is one of the simplest ways to improve your life and reduce your stress level.

Growing up, I hated naptime. Even when I wasn’t at school, my parents would make me take a nap, and it was usually right in the middle of my favorite T.V. show. I learned at a young age to resent naptime. I thought of it only as a torture technique inflicted upon me by parents who wanted to gain ultimate control over the dominion that was our household. As I got older, I realized that naptime had been a gift from God and that I really did benefit from taking naps.

When I got to college, I found myself tired a lot of the time and when I got the chance, I would take mini power naps. After these brief moments of heaven, I felt so much more energized and ready to take on the world. I was also a lot less stressed. People have different ways of dealing with stress. When I get stressed my body shuts down and gets physically tired. I find that if I take naps, I actually deal with my stress and I have a clearer mind with which to solve my problem. So, what do I believe? I believe in naptime.