I Believe in Treating Others Equally

Nadine - Juliustown, New Jersey
Themes: golden rule

I Believe in Treating Others Equally

How many times have you seen someone get bullied or teased just because they are different? I would like to know why some people feel that they are better than others. I believe that people should treat each other equally; because that’s what we are, equals.

Many times I have seen some sort of teasing going on, but I never really thought much of it. As long as it wasn’t me being tormented then I never questioned it. I went to a small elementary school where everyone knew each other. Everyone in my grade got along pretty well except for this one outcast. No one ever really spoke to him, so he mostly kept to himself. He was always a target for being teased. This kid was very sweet and did anything to please others, which was a main key of why he was so vulnerable.

One day my teachers clumped the entire grade into one room. No one knew what was going on. The teachers selected the outcast student to wash one of the boards in another class room, so off he went. After he left the room my teachers started to talk. I was confused at first but then I understood what was going on. They had that one student leave because he was the main topic of the discussion. My teachers were extremely upset because of the way some students treated this one student. They went on saying how it’s not fair and how disappointed they were in us. They strongly encouraged and asked us to be friendlier to him.

I went home that night feeling horrible. Though I have never teased him I was mad at myself for letting it go on. There were so many opportunities where I could have stepped in and defended the student but I didn’t. I tried to imagine myself in his shoes and all the pain he has gone through. Since that day I made a great effort to make small talk with the student, and I would defend him when others made fun of him. Nobody should have to live a life being constantly made fun of.

Many people don’t understand how hurtful their words can be. I myself sometimes say things before thinking. They need to take into consideration other peoples’ feelings. I lose a certain degree of respect for people who are cocky and that talk about others as if they are less. I believe that everyone is equal. We all are equal with our own specialties and talents that people need to recognize before judging someone.