This Is Only the Beginning

Jeremy - Long Beach, California

I believe that this is just the beginning.

I believe that the economy will get worse and worse, as housing prices keep falling and unemployment keeps rising and corporations keep failing. I believe that, at some point, not only will it be difficult to find a job, it will be impossible—in fact, eventually the very idea of a “job” will fade into obsolescence. Moreover, everyone and everything will be forced to declare bankruptcy. But, since there will be no more banks, the idea of being “bankrupt” will just seem quaint. And although nations will continue printing money (for a while), I believe there will be no way for people to earn it, making money abundant and scarce simultaneously. I believe, too, that whole nations will become so frustrated by their own impotence, by their inability to provide anything short of constant and self-perpetuating anarchy, that most governments will just give up and declare themselves non-states, rendering their foreign wars and currencies and borders and U.N. memberships and the very concept of citizenship null and void. I believe that, at some point, the few remaining nations will step in and create a new global currency, in just three different denominations—$1, $3, and $250,000. The fronts of these bills will feature not presidents nor world leaders but a Liger, a Unicorn, and Warren Buffet. I believe, however, that this currency will be more or less worthless, and therefore goods and services will no longer be bought and sold at all. I believe that the robots will be in charge by then and that they will continue manufacturing all of the consumer products to which we’ve become entirely addicted and dependent, that they (the robots) will give everything away for free, accelerating both consumption (because who doesn’t like free stuff?) and their masterplan to make the world completely uninhabitable for humans. I believe that this plan, when discovered, will be met by a collective, worldwide yawn. “Big deal. Weren’t we doing that ourselves already anyway?” someone astute will ask. Someone equally astute will respond, “plus, free iPhones.” I believe that global warming will increase its already-frenetic pace, until all of the glaciers and ice shelves and ice cream and ice cubes melt forever and the sea level rises so there’s no visible land left in the world. I believe this will prompt us to ask the robots to build us a few underwater cities, and this will prompt them to say “No!,” loudly and vehemently (and, to be perfectly honest, somewhat rudely). We will all have hurt feelings and be forced to tread water and be wet all the time.

It is the beginning of the end.

This I believe.