Jacqueline - Chesterfield, New Jersey

“I’ve been reckless, but I’m not a rebel without a cause.” – Angelina Jolie

Do you remember the first time you were thinking about doing something you knew was wrong, but did it anyway? I believe kids should be allowed to experiment. Everyday there’s something I want, too bad I can’t always get it.

It’s my 15th birthday and I want a new piercing, my mom says nothing facial. However, I wanted my nose pierced. I believe I should be able to pierce myself and deal with the consequences later. I believe it’s my body and as long as I don’t walk around looking like a magnet and all pierced up I should be allowed to do it. After my mom said no, I did it anyway. Of course I have boundaries and I know when not to cross them but I believe it’s worth it. Life is too short not to take big risks. So this time I was lucky and didn’t have a punishment, besides the whole lecture about how I took my ‘Baby face’ away. Next time though, my phone will be taken away for 6 months. Well that’s what she “claims” will happen, it won’t though. My nose is well taken care of and not infected, so taking that risk was one hundred and ten percent worth it. I believe I want to be able to walk into a tattoo parlor and get a tattoo without parents consent. I can pay for it, so why can’t I get it? I believe if I’m risking taking the pain and wasting my money then, hey why not? Parents have control of us, of course but I should be able to make my own careless mistakes. Then when I look back on this twenty years from now I can laugh at all the rebellious things I’ve done.

When I pierced my nose, I kept thinking about what my mom was going to say. I texted her and said ‘Guess what! I pierced my nose!’ She said in all caps “WHAT” Right then and there I was like uh oh. She then texted me again and said “We’ll talk about your punishment when you get home.” I believe what I did was fine, however she believes the opposite. So I strongly believe kids should be allowed to make there own mistakes and learn from them.