i believe in second chances

Julia - columbus, New Jersey

I BELIEVE IN SECOND CHANCES.

Most of the time it’s not other people giving us second chances, it’s us taking responsibility for our own happy endings in life.

In my 13 years of living, I have only lost a couple people to death. In the summer of 2008 my grandma died. She always taught me to be happy and just live your life the way you want to and do not listen to anyone but yourself, because in the end that is all you will have. For eight years, my grandma was living alone with no one from the family near her home in Florida. And yet, she was still very happy. I would get a call here and there from her, but it was clear she was starting to lose it. One week she called and it was really hard to hear her, so I was screaming into the phone so she could understand me. I did not talk to her for about a month. One summer afternoon I was sitting on the couch with my little sister, and we got a phone call saying that she had passed away. At that moment I felt so much guilt, because I had not seen her in a year and the last time I talked to her was a month before when I yelled into the phone at her. This is one situation where I feel like I really need to have a second chance, but I do not know how I will ever get one.

A second chance is something I do not ask for a lot, but there have been times that I have. I am not the type of kid to get into trouble, but I have made some mistakes. One day I really wanted my best friend Rachel to come over to my house, even though she lives three miles away. So Rachel and I stayed after school until 3:20, and then we took my 3:20 bus home. When we were waiting outside, we realized that Rachel didn’t have a pass so I went up to Ms. Brothers (the librarian) and asked if she could write me a pass. She did and we were on our way. As we boarded the bus we showed the bus driver the passes and found a seat. When my stop came and we were about to get off the driver asked if she could look at Rachel’s pass again. I showed it to her, and it had my name on it. “What is her name?” This question was directed at Rachel. I replied “Julia; we’re sisters!” Then we got off the bus, and were on our way. The next day in school I was taken out of 7th period history to accept a bus suspension. I made a mistake. The result was that my mom was not mad, but I just will not do that ever again.

In conclusion, I believe that the people who should not deserve a second chance are the ones who need it the most.