I believe in balance

Enrique - Wrightstown, New Jersey
Themes: pleasure, work

I believe in a balance of work and play and that analyzing your present can enhance your future.

I am in 8th grade and I recently filled out my high school course selection sheet, the sheet asks about all the classes you take, such as optional honors classes and electives. It was at that point that I realized that I will be making decisions that affect my future career. This made me think because all throughout my life people have been asking me, “what do you want to do when you grow up.” Up until now that question has always been as simple as answering scientist or writer or even teacher, but once you see the path to get to that job, it makes you really question your goals and the steps you are willing to take to get there.

When I was a little child I did not worry much about the future in the sense that I would not know what to do when I grow up. I know some people that know from day one what they wanted to be and worked non stop to achieve their goal. There is nothing wrong with being a person like that, but as a child and even teen they miss out on all the things that make life fun such as friends and activities. There are people on the opposite side of the fun and work balance scale also, these are the people who go out and party or play games all day when there are more productive things to do. Unfortunately I fall on the scale more towards the fun and procrastinating side.

After I selected my classes for high school my mom explained to me that if I was to make my goals a reality I needed to really straighten up. “All your life people have been telling you that you are not living up to your full potential,” since then I have been trying very hard to excel in school and even life. Since that day I have written down my goals and posted them in my room to remind myself that in order to reach my goal I have to work hard, but just because I have to work hard to make my dreams a realty does not mean I can not have some fun at the same time.