I believe in Rights

Matthew - vernonia, Oregon
Themes: freedom

I believe that everybody should be able to believe what they want to believe without being told that they shouldn’t believe in that.

Times when you are being told that you shouldn’t believe something or someone, you shouldn’t listen to them. You have the right, the privilege, and the opportunity to believe in what you want. If someone is challenging your beliefs, you should leave the area. You shouldn’t have to think twice about what you believe. No one should be able to challenge those of which you believe. It’s just not right.

An example of this right being challenged is World War 2, when Adolf Hitler committed genocide against the Jews, Catholics, homosexuals, and Christians, all of which have their own different beliefs, and they should all be respected. All these believers of whom or what they choose, are a part of modern day society, whether or not you ever see, or hear, or talk to any of them, they will always be there. They always have been there, whether or not we accepted it.

There’s also the issue we have of the racism throughout the entire world, which I believe will never be gone. In America, a lot of different religions, and sexual orientations are made fun of, hurt, attacked, shunned, hated, or targeted, just because they believe something differently than us, and we refuse to accept that it’s o.k. to believe what you choose to, as long as you respect other beliefs. We have gone years and years with racism, and prejudice just because of our skin color, our religion, our clothes, our shoes. Even though racism has gotten better, or less, in years gone by, it still remains a persistent nuisance in the American country, yet our government refuses to do anything about it, or has “tried” but failed. Look at Obama. He always kept saying that he’s not a Muslim, as if being a Muslim is a bad thing, which it should not be, because they just like all of us, have their own beliefs, which may be different, should be respected as their own. Same thing with politics: if you believe what one group says, people may hate you, just because they don’t believe the same group, which could lead to fights, or riots in the people, which is bad for government, all caused by different beliefs amongst all of us. Yet the government refuses to intervene with the people and say that we need to respect our others believes and thoughts, so that we will hopefully end racism in the states, and maybe other parts of the world.

Another place is school. Every day, millions of students go to school, try to learn, but instead they get made fun of, or teased, or bullied, just because they look different, or believe something else than everyone else. They may be just like you and me, trying to get by in life, but instead we get made fun of. I believe that this is wrong, that we should be able to believe whatever we want to believe.