It’s not fair… Life’s not fair!

Anna - Crosswicks, New Jersey

Has anything unfair ever happened to you? Something recent happened to me, and it was very hard to get over. I believe that life isn’t always fair and you have to be flexible about it. You can’t expect everything to go your way… or the right way. Not everything will happen the way it should. Eventually, you just have to get over it and move on, even if it’s hard.

I have experienced many unfair situations, but one really changed the way I look at decisions. I remember the long drive across several highways. I remember putting on bright makeup to make myself stand out, fixing my hair, and warming up with my friends. I was nervous but excited, and I had a lot of confidence. After I danced, I was really proud of myself. I believed that the judges would give me a high placement. My other friends danced really well too. All we had to do now was to wait for the awards.

They called the numbers of the competitors who got a placement in the top half. It’s just to get them in a line and ready to receive their awards, we don’t actually know what we got yet. My friend and I were called up and waited for the announcer to give us a high placement. But they called 13th… 12th… and a little more before they called us. We were so annoyed! We expected our dancing to put us both in the top 5 places. Instead, we got only into the top 10! I remember whispering to my friend, “Who is going to win?” She shrugged and rolled her eyes, “We’ve been in it the longest, and we’re the best dancers here! Maybe the girl in the blue will win. She danced pretty well today.” But the girl in the blue didn’t win, a new girl did!

After we got our awards, my friends and I growled to our parents about how stupid the judges were. This new girl who won just started out in our competition recently. I so annoyed that she won when I have been in this level for five whole years. All I wanted to do was complain to my friends. We talked behind her back about how the judges only liked her because she was tiny and skinny and had a fancier dress. She also had red hair and looked more Irish. Then I told myself that there would be other competitions with different judges. So I calmed myself down and even congratulated her.

I learned a lot from that competition. The thing I always remember now is to think before I make decisions. I make sure that my choice won’t hurt anyone’s feelings or be foolish. I’m a very fair person and make sure that everyone gets what they deserve or that everyone gets the same thing. Now I know that not everything is going to go my way or happen the way it should. I believe that I should have confidence in everything I do, but not too much because I might not get what I deserve. I also need to respect others and not talk behind their backs. Lastly, I have to be flexible if something doesn’t go right. I just have to keep going and hope for everything to be fair. The next time you make a decision, think about the effects and make a decision that will make everyone happy and thankful.