People Enter Your Heart

Heather - 08562, New Jersey
Themes: family, purpose

I believe everything happens for a reason. People enter your heart and even though they leave, their signature will always remain.

Two years ago in January I found out some news. It was the weekend of my birthday party. I was waiting in the car with my dad for my sister to come out. When he turned around he said, “Daddy’s sick.” I didn’t really know how to act to that statement so I replied with, “What do you mean?” I was only eleven years old at the time and didn’t know exactly everything that was going on. He was very serious and it was really starting to scare me. He then said in a low toned voice, “I have cancer.” A million things went through my head at that very second. Tears started to pour down my face like a flooded river.

What had happened there was something I will never forget. He started treatment two weeks ago and his doctor told him it would be best for him to tell me sister and me. I saw him every week for about two to three months. By the second weekend I saw him he was getting weak and from there on it continued. He had to stop working until he could gain strength back again. By the third or fourth week I saw him he could barely get up from the couch. I never left his side when I went to see him. Even though most of the time I saw him he was sleeping or couldn’t talk much. At my moms house one week I found out that he went into the hospital and he had to get a feeding tube put into his stomach. Every now and then he went into the hospital because he got so weak. But then he would come home too sometime. Then one day they stopped treatment and he was done.

I couldn’t say how happy I was. The doctors said “he is doing great and they got rid of all the cancer.” Throughout the period of time he lost about forty pounds. It took him a good year to gain it all back. He started going back to work a week after treatment ended.

I believe my dad survived because my sister and I still needed him. Everything happens for a reason so better things can happen.