I Believe in Caring

Kjirsten - Colubus, New Jersey

I Believe in Caring.

I will never forget the first time I went in the ocean. I was only five years old at the time; and I was terrified! It looked so deep and dark. My grandfather, well I call him Pop-Pop, took me into the ocean; he made me feel invincible. He promised me that as long as I was with him, holding his hand, nothing bad would happen to me. Every time a wave would come, I would squeeze his hand. From then on, I always imagine my Pop-Pop with me when I am afraid to do something. I believe in caring for others.

A few years ago, my sister’s best friend was killed in a car crash. At the time I was eleven, and my sister was seventeen. Almost every night for about two months, I would stay up with her when she couldn’t sleep. I would do anything she needed me to do for her. I was there for her when she needed to cry, vent, or just drive around town. I really never left her side, unless she was at school or work. Actually, a few days after the accident I went to work with her for a few hours just so I could be with her, and show her I care for her.

This past summer one of my friends was killed in a car accident. My sister was at college at the time, but she would call me every night to make sure that I was okay. One night when we were on the phone, she told me, “Kjirst, call me anytime you need me. I don’t care if it’s in the middle of the night, or if I’m in class, ill answer the phone.” This showed me that she cares for me because she would sacrifice her sleep, and she would risk getting in trouble in class. A few weeks after the accident happened, my mom bought me a plane ticket so I could be with my sister in Massachusetts.

There has been many times since then that people have showed me that they care, and I have shown people that I care for them. I believe in caring for others, even if they aren’t your favorite person. I believe in caring for others, no matter what race they are. I believe in caring for others, no matter who they are, where they live, and what they believe in.