Words Have Power Too!

Jennifer - Wrightstown, New Jersey

Growing up, I remember hearing my mom and dad telling me, “If you’re going to talk the talk, you better walk the walk,” I believe words do have power, not just actions. However, I didn’t for the longest of time.

Have you ever said to someone, “Oh, I’m so sorry, I’ll keep them in my prayers,”? I’ve heard that being said to me a few times in my short lifetime. I never actually thought extremely hard about it though. I always thought it was just something you would say to someone who is having a bad time, or is sick or something.

One freezing school night, my best friend Leanne invited me to her indoor soccer game. As usual, I was “thrilled”. But considering she was my best friend, it was my duty to support her. While I was watching the game, I began to make small talk with Leanne’s mom. She had asked how my Aunt was doing. I had told her she still isn’t feeling well from the chemotherapy. As soon as those words had left my lips, without hesitation she said, “Oh, I’ll pray for her tonight,” I replied with a thank you, and continued watching the game. Five minutes later, I forgot we ever had the conversation. I never realized the power of words until a few weeks after that night.

I asked my mom how my aunt has been doing a few nights ago. When she told me she didn’t have it anymore, a great big grin fell upon my face. See, the type of cancer my aunt had, is a type that most people get twice, and then doesn’t live through it. Also, this was her second time having it. “It had to been a miracle that saved her,” I remember my cousin telling me. I immediately talked to my friend Leanne about this, and I told her mom the story and thanked her a million times. This was the first time I ever believed words have power too.

Next time when someone shows sympathy or some type of concern, I’ll be sure to thank them personally, and mean it. Some might say it was coincidence, but I suppose that I’m the only one who gets it. So the next time my parents tell me to walk the walk, I’ll tell them to talk the talk.