Beating the Odds

hayley - chesterfield, New Jersey

How many times in your life has someone said, “That’s a dumb idea,” or, “You’re not good enough to do that?” The sad part about that is; most people listen to those comments and take them to heart. The people who do great things in life probably heard that more than once. The important thing is that they keep trying to achieve their goals no matter what others think. In your life, there will always be people who tell you that your ideas are dumb or you won’t make it. But if you listen to those people and give up, they would be right. I believe that you shouldn’t let other people’s opinions change you.

For as long as I can remember, I’ve been singing and playing music. I was in chorus every year, I took piano lessons, and I try out for every solo I can. Music is my dream. The biggest problem is, if I make it a career, there’s a one in a million chance of becoming famous. And if I don’t become famous, there are only a few jobs I can get. My family and friends support me, but think I should focus on a more practical job.

So, high school is coming up soon, and I’m starting to think about my future. I could always be an architect or an engineer, but I could never work in an office because I would go crazy sitting at a desk all day. My mom wants me to be a lawyer or a doctor because it pays well. My brother says I can be anything because when he becomes a famous football player, he will be able to buy us whatever we want. As I think about all the things I could be, I realize that I can’t imagine a life without music. I would be miserable.

Despite what anyone else says, I’m going to continue with my music. Maybe I could get a practical job. Maybe I could play music for fun. Who knows; I might beat the odds and be famous one day. I might not. All I know is that I’m not giving up on my dream.