The One I Missed

Andrew - Jacobstown, New Jersey
Themes: family, tolerance

The One I Was Made to Miss

Have you ever been denied of an event you wanted to go to because someone wouldn’t let you? I was a fresh teenager who was living in his big blue house surrounded by farms and trees. I always believed in fairness and understanding. I was outside kicking a soccer ball around in the backyard when my trouble began to start.

My phone vibrated in my pocket, I picked it up. It was Cody and he said, “Hey come to the rope swing!” As I was talking to him I heard the rest of the guys talking in the background. I knew they were probably having fun. I told him, “I will probably be able to come over, but let me ask my mom first.” I was pretty excited.

I ran to my mom in the house, she was working on the house. I asked her, “Can I go to the rope swing?” She asked, “What is the rope swing?” I explained that it was a huge rope swing hung in the woods near Cody’s house. She replied that I couldn’t go, and I was appalled. I really wanted to go. I asked, “Why?” She said, “You don’t have to be with friends every weekend, plus it sounds dangerous.” She did go on for a few minutes explaining her concerns about kids getting into dangerous situations. She did offer for me to invite them over our way, but I was too mad to hear it. The group wouldn’t have wanted to change their plans and leave the rope swing either. I sadly made the call to tell Cody no, he was cool with it. I went into the house, mad and angry at my mom. I was thinking, so much for people being understanding and fair.

Later, I asked her what she needed help with, and she gave me a few chores to do. While I was working on the chores for the house, I was thinking about what I was missing and how much fun it would have been. At the end of the day I wasn’t as mad as I was before, but still a little angry. I went to bed, and while I was trying to sleep I thought about the day’s events. By the next day I had realized and learned that it wasn’t that important if I went or not. It would have been fun, but it wasn’t the end of the world. I wouldn’t loose my friends because I wasn’t there. My mom was right, I didn’t have to be with friends every weekend, and it is her job to watch out for my safety. I learned to be flexible and to cooperate with others in order to succeed. I believe everyone should be flexible in order for everyone to get a long and work things out.