The Importance of Second Chances

Thomas - Chesterfield, New Jersey

I believe in second chances. Most people ruin their first chance at life, some even ruin their second chances at life. Most people who do this are just trying to find a job or a home and deserve a second chance. I even believe that the addicts that got themselves caught while doing or dealing drugs deserve a second chance. They are humans too, just trying to find good in their life. I believe this because I was someone who got a second chance.

I still remember the day when I got my second chance. We were making canopic jars in our 5th grade art class. I for one have never been an artist so my jar was mainly just a mound of clay shaped into a container. My two friends Katie and Wayne and I were having a great time messin’ around. All of a sudden Wayne grabbed Katie’s bandana and it turns into a game of monkey in the middle. That’s how it started… all because of that stupid bandana. Anyway, after a while Katie got fed up, so she grabbed a bottle of glue from the supply drawer and if you believe this squirted it into Wayne’s hair. Wayne was one of my closest friends so I was mad. I grabbed a pair of scissors and snuck up behind Katie and snipped a little hair of the back of her head.

I honestly couldn’t believe it either so I just left the hair on the floor. Well to my surprise and stupidity the teacher Miss Cunningham saw the hair on the ground and demanded an explanation immediately. Me and Wayne fessed up, ( I know I’m a bad person for making Wayne get in trouble too) when Wayne told Miss Cunningham that Katie had put glue in Wayne’s hair she sent the three of us down to the principal’s office.

After the lecture the acting principle Mrs. Patzold gave Katie 1 day lunch detention, me 2 days lunch detention, and Wayne 3 days lunch detention. But on top of that, of course the school called home. As soon as I got home my mom demanded an explanation. When I didn’t have one she drove me into New Egypt and stopped outside the barber shop. Needless to say my head was very cold from then on (for anyone who didn’t understand that joke I got my head shaved). I have never cut anyone’s hair from then on, but I am considering becoming a barber…just kidding!