I Believe in thinking Poitiviely

Stephanie - Celebration, Florida

I believe in the importance of a positive, attitude. . I believe the glass is half full.

This was not always the way I was. About 20 years ago, I was getting dressed and had on the TV and I heard a statement by Oprah that stayed with me. “ You may not have a choice about many things, but you always have a choice about how you react. YOU are the one that has a choice to be positive or not.” At that point, as it it were an epiphany, I chose to be positive, and my life has changed enormously as it has grown year by year as I have seen the success it has given me.

When my mom died at 83 I obviously missed her and felt sad. Even more so, I also felt so fortunate to have had her as long as I did. I felt lucky to have gotten to know her as an adult, as so many people lose their parents so young they never have that opportunity. I felt blessed to have had a mom that made so many worthwhile contributions to the world to have left so many legacies behind that her life was full and well lived. I was glad she had traveled and experienced the theater, the opera, the ballet and public TV and public radio which brought her so much joy. I felt positive it was a life that was full and one that she would have would have looked back at and said it was what she’d wanted.

Fifteen months ago, a month after my mom’s death, I was out riding my bike and was hit by a car. It stopped on top of my leg after dragging it several inches along the pavement, removing the skin from my ankle. I found the experience to be one that I could face one of two ways. I could curse the fact that although I was in a crosswalk I was hit, or I could look at it positively that I was very fortunate that I was not hurt worse.

I had on a helmet, so I had no head injury. I was so fortunate to know the value of always wearing a helmet. And nature gave us something amazing called “shock” so when I looked down and saw the car on my leg I thought to myself “Humm, there is a car on my leg and this doesn’t hurt, that is odd.” I was thankful that 2 men appeared somehow out of nowhere to untangle me from the bike and underside of the car to lay me flat and be picked up by the ambulance which had been called and appeared in minutes. I had gravel ground into my bone where the skin was torn off, so there was some work that needed to be done, but through it all, I thought how lucky I was, it could have been so much worse. I believe in being positive. It served me well, and helped me recover. Every time a friend said “Poor you” I said, “No. Lucky me” and explained how much worse it could it have been.

I believe in the enormous power one can get from thinking the glass is half full. There may be an empty part, but I look at the part that is half full and it serves for a fuller life. I believe in being positive.