Hard Work Pays Off

John - Putney, Vermont
Themes: work

“Hard Work Pays Off”

– Ray Bradbury

I believe that hard work pays off. Not everything comes easy in my life; I work hard for what I really want. I believe that no one will achieve what they want in life with out hard work. For example, celebrities and anyone successful in life did not just get their fame handed to them, they worked for what they wanted in life. Personally, I’ve worked very hard in sports to achieve what I’ve accomplished.

I believe that I could successfully do a good job in football, in college, if I work hard enough. Football is my favorite sport and I believe I’m good at it, along with my friends and family. My grandfather, Ed Pratt, was very into sports and most of all loved football. He is what made me fall in love with the game of football.

I looked up to him and wanted to prove to him everyday that I could be the best I could at every sport I played.

My family called him grampa Barney, I have no idea why that was his name, but that’s what everyone new him as. As I grew up, he was not only my grampa Barney, but also my role model. Unfortunately my grampa passed away last year right before my senior year of football in high school. It was a very sad moment in my life and greatly affected me as I’ve gone on in life. I play a song that was sang at his funeral and reminds me of him almost everyday because it gives me the will and motivation to work hard and make him proud, even if he is not here to see me. I wish he was still here to see me go on and make him proud of my senior year. He would have been very proud that I made the north south football team of Vermont and worked hard to achieve my goal, to be the best I could be.

I believe that my hard work can benefit me in the future if I so choose to pick football as a career. When ever I have the doubt of not working hard anymore, to give up, I think of proving myself to my grampa. He had very high expectations of me and that made me feel good about myself. I would never want him to feel unimpressed with me. Even though I new he would always be there for me if I failed, I wouldn’t except failing just to get his approval. Hard work paid off for me because I achieved the expectations of my grampa. His approval to me was like a mother hearing the first words of her child; it put a huge smile on my face and made me very proud of all the hard work it took to get that feeling.