The Unexpected Bumps in Life

Jenna - Appleton, Wisconsin

My mother has always supported me; from moving out, then back again; to taking time off school and not working; to every bad day that I have ever had. She has been there. She is my inspiration, my rock, and my light. I look to her for guidance, and no matter what she always knows best.

In the months, leading up to July 2007 the mole on my right cheek started to grow. It got rounder, fuller, and started to turn from a light brown to a red color. Ever since I can remember, I had my beauty mark on my face. It made me unique, special, and I liked it. However, this was not normal. After my mother started to notice, she convinced me to go see a dermatologist.

With a, “Nothing is wrong with me attitude,” I entered the office and sat in the cold white room for what seemed like hours. The doctor finally came in and within two minutes told me she would need to remove half of it for biopsy. Her exact words were, “Don’t worry we are just going to shave a bit off the top,” she lied. My mole was part of my face and they were just going to take it away. After a few tears, I gave up half my beauty mark in order to make sure I was healthy.

My mother reassured me that all would be fine; if something was wrong, we will get through it and if it turned out, I was healthy, I would still be just as beautiful as I was in the beginning. She comforted my fears and allowed me to sleep easy for next week.

It was on July 7th when I got a phone call at work from my doctor telling me they found pre-cancerous cells in my mole and I would need to have surgery in order to remove the rest of the mole as well as underlying tissue. Scared I dialed my mother, and with soft tranquil words, she brought me back to earth and calmed my fears. A few days later, I went into the doctor’s office to get the surgery. Within about an hour, it was all over. I called my supporter to tell her how it went. She reassured me that they got everything and they are trained professionals, and the scar on my face will not be too big, as well reinforcing that no scar or mole would ever take away from how beautiful I was on the inside as well as the outside. She made me believe that with it gone now; I no longer worry about cutting my life short due to skin cancer. She brought me home flowers and a big hug that night.

I will never forget how much her support and love helped me through. I am a better person because of my mother. She helped and continues to help me stay positive and focused on the important things in life.