Pedal to the Metal

Frankie - Chesterfield, New Jersey

When I was learning how to ride my bike I realized my parents loved me. It was sweltering hot. Waves of heat were rising off the ground. As I gripped the handle bars with my sweaty hands my dad said, “Frankie ready?” See, on that day I was learning how to ride my bike with training wheels. My mom said, “Frankie honey do you want to try to ride the bike without the training wheels?” I shook my head yes in an up and down motion.

The first time I tried riding the bike without training wheels it felt weird. But after a few falls I eventually got it. Then I realized my parents did love me, they were there for me when I fell. They were also there to give me a kiss on my knee (mainly my mom) and there to pick me up (mainly my dad.)

As this majestic day continued I was really learning and grasping this talent of riding a bicycle. I learned extremely fast with this whole riding a bike thing; the feeling of accomplishment felt cool. My parents were so proud of me, and I was proud of myself. I also felt loved by my parents. This made me feel good inside. I also liked the fact that when I first learned how to ride a bike I went on bike rides with my family.

Now that my family is there to support me they can help me learn how to drive a car. Yes, I understand it’s a car which looks hard to drive and that if I damage it, it would be very hard to fix. However I am sure my family will be there for me when I learn to drive and get my driver’s license. Right now I want to thank my family for being there for me when I needed it whether I got hurt or almost fell off the bike. Also if I got in trouble they were there for me and I know they will love me no matter what happens.