The Day That I Regret

Michael - Fort Dix, New Jersey

I will never forget the time I had to make a difficult choice between my best friend and my dad. I regret the choice that I made.

When I was about 8 years old and I was living in Virginia my dad had to go to Iraq for a year. I wanted to spend the night at my best friend Tom’s house on the last night that my dad had with the family before going to Iraq. I had to choose between spending my last night with my dad for a year or spending the night at my best friend’s house. Unfortunately I chose to spend the night at my best friend’s house.

When I think back to this day it makes me feel so mad at myself and sad and beat up inside. At first I thought that my best friend wouldn’t be in my life as long as my dad so I might as well spend the night at my best friend’s house. Now I really regret the decision that I made. After I spent the night at my friend’s house, I didn’t see my dad for a whole year, maybe longer after that night. I didn’t even get to say goodbye to him or say I love him or that I’m sorry.

I never knew how it made me feel back then but I sure do now. Back then I really didn’t care that much about it. I thought that my dad will come back home soon. My dad didn’t come home. I was wondering all the time where he was. That year without him was very long, hard, lonely, and depressing.

It must have made my dad even more upset than me when I chose my best friend over him. Every time I think back to that day where I made the most dumbest decision ever, I feel what my dad must have felt and more. I regret a lot of things, but I mostly regret choosing my best friend over my dad.

Now I like to go everywhere with my dad. I would rather be with my dad than almost any other person. I have been and always will be a daddy’s boy. I learned love, compassion, empathy, respect, loyalty, and honesty from that experience. Now I believe in things that I never believed in before. I believe in love, I believe in respect, I believe empathy, I believe in compassion, I believe in loyalty, I believe in honesty, and I believe in regret.

Now, anytime I have a decision between my dad and someone else, I’m more likely to choose my dad.