This I Believe- Life is Unfair

Marcus - Jobstown, New Jersey

This I Believe- Life is Not Fair

I believe life is unfair. The first time I realized that life was unfair, was at my aunt’s house, when I was 5 or 6 years old.

“Life is unfair,” she would say to my cousin and me. “You can’t also have want you want, and sometimes it might not all go your way.”

That’s when I first realized that life was unfair, though after that moment, I never anticipated the concept. I still remember the day where I encountered the concept the greatest. On a winter night in 2008, I was in my room, listening to music, and studying for the test next day. I remember walking down the stairs, 5 minutes later, getting a Rice Crispy Treat, and seeing my sister add mayonnaise sarcastically to her sandwich.

I said, “Ew, you’re disgusting.”

My sister immediately responded, “You’re dumb, stupid.”

Now, of course my dad was around to hear what I said to her, and vice versa. I didn’t know that my dad was in a bad mood, so I said, “Ich bin ein grosse Siege.( I’m a winner).” This line is from a line of a song I was listening to up stairs.

Anyway, my dad gave a stern look and said (angrily), “Hey kid. [Why do] You come down here and from no reason call your sister names [?]. Find something better to do, and get out of my sight.”

Before I went up stairs, I said “Why did I get yelled at, yet Kalena (my sister) didn’t?”

My father responded, “This is just a little lesson that life is not fair.”

I felt unwanted, though human. Realizing that life was unfair made me feel like every other person in the world.

I used to think life was fair. When you’re little, everything basically goes your way. Everybody was considered equal in Kindergarten. For example, if my sister got an ice cream at Disney World, so did I. When I got presents on my birthday, my sister got one to balance it out. This happened so much when I was little, I was brought up to believe it, and never thought or anticipated that life was really unfair.

When little kids think “equal,” they usual think every little kid has same freedoms. When kids think freedoms, they think “America is a free country, so I can do whatever I want.” When they get older, and finally realize that freedom is limited, that’s when they realize, life is not fair.