Life’s Lessons

Simranjeet - Columbus, New Jersey

I’ll never forget the first time my brother got me in trouble. I was sad and angry but it didn’t matter because it made me a better person.

It was a dark rainy afternoon, in the spring of 2000. Sadly, my siblings, cousins and I were all stuck inside. So, we decided to play a game of tag and had to jump from one bed to another. My brother jumped onto a bed and his heel hit the white smooth wall leaving a huge whole. No one wanted it to happen, but we thought it was really funny. Everyone heard the thud and my mom was up stairs in less than a minute. Her face was red and was full with anger. She immediately looked to me and I got in big trouble, but of course, my brother didn’t.

It was that day that I learned and now believe that everything happens for a reason. It definitely paid off and good thing it was a small incident. I knew that things happen but never really knew why. I was sad because I got in trouble, but happy that I finally figured out why certain things happen. Some may think I’m crazy but I would do it again because it made me a better person and I learned some valuable lessons.

Even though I was sad and all, I learned some lessons and learned what to expect the next time something like that happens. I believe that life is a learning experience. From then on I try and most of the time succeed to stay calm and cooperate in difficult situations to make things better. But the main thing is that life isn’t always fair and you just have to work with it.

I know that people may have different perspectives towards life. Whether they agree with me or not it’s all up to them and I can’t force them. All I can honesty say from my personal experiences, is that I strongly feel that life isn’t always fair whether you want it to be or not. But I know I couldn’t have become a better person if my brother hadn’t gotten me in trouble.