Zachary - Wrighstown, New Jersey
Themes: integrity

“Honesty is the first chapter in the book of wisdom.” Thomas Jefferson.

Being honest is the best thing that we can be. I believe that if you’re honest you will be more successful in life and you will be trusted a lot more. From personal experience I can tell you that telling lies just makes your situation worse than it would have been if you told the truth from the start. Everyone has told a lie at some point in their life. Sometimes it’s necessary to tell a lie. It might be to protect someone or to get into college. However, what goes around comes around.

“No legacy is so rich as honesty.” William Shakespeare (1564 – 1616). If you lie you are damaging the truth. Honesty is the best policy. Being honest will make you a better person and you will have a better life. I will be completely honest with you. I’m terrified. I’m terrified that I will lose a family member again. I’m terrified that today might be Armageddon. I’m terrified that today might be the day that another World War will break out. I’m terrified that the people I love will be taken from me.

“No man has a good enough memory to make a successful liar.” ~Abraham Lincoln. Every time you lie you have to remember that lie. Every time you lie you damage the truth. If you are honest you are wise. If you lie on a college application they will never accept you into their college. If you lie you are destroying your reputation. People will always find the truth. You can create a web of lies but the truth will always find a way.

Those who tell the truth and are honest will do honest actions. Everyone has told a lie. Everyone has been lied to, whether you know it or not. You should be honest all the time whether you are with your friends, your parents, or some random stranger. Honest people will have a better life because they have an honest conscience.

If you lie you not only have to remember that lie but it might spread to other people. A good example of this is the movie Jakob the liar. He lied about having a radio when it was forbidden to have one in your possession. The penalty for that was death.

Though I am not naturally honest, I am so sometimes by chance.

Author: William Shakespeare. You are either naturally honest or you choose to be honest. Honesty is truth; truth is the correct thing to do. Many famous people have had quotes about honesty. However about 75% of them lie every day. People that lie are people that don’t have honest actions.